News & Information
ALABC's monthly newsletter, "Latam News," keeps members and supporters abreast of developments taking place in the Latin American markets. Locked articles
can be read by paid ALABC members, including Individual, SME, Corporate and Patron.
Proposed Merger of SKM and Jacobs
10 September, 2013 by ALABC Editor
From The Sinclair Knight Merz Magazine Press Release 9 September 2013.
Sinclair Knight Merz (SKM) and Jacobs today announced they have signed an agreement to merge their two businesses, to be effected by Jacobs acquiring SKM. The SKM Board of Directors believes that the Merger Proposal is in the best interests of SKM Shareholders and unanimously recommends that SKM Shareholders vote in favour of the proposal subject to an independent expert concluding that the Merger Proposal is in the best interests of SKM Shareholders and in the absence of a superior proposal.
The Merger Proposal is subject to the satisfaction of certain conditions, including Court and SKM Shareholder approval. The Merger Proposal with Jacobs is the culmination of a thorough process, including detailed interactions between the two companies to ensure a strong fit and alignment between the two organisations. It follows a detailed review by SKM of the strategic options available to SKM in order to best position the group to achieve its long-term vision and objectives.
SKM’s CEO and Managing Director, Santo Rizzuto, welcomed today’s announcement.
“This is an exciting opportunity. It uniquely positions us amongst our global peers and opens the way for us to achieve even greater things in the future. It adds scale, diversification and growth opportunities to our business.
"We believe that this will significantly strengthen our market position and that this is an outstanding proposition for our clients and our people."
Jacobs’ President, and CEO, Craig Martin, said that the combination is a unique fit that strongly delivers on the Company’s strategic ambitions.
"SKM’s culture, values, and operating philosophy are very compatible with ours, making our companies an excellent fit for one another.
"Our capabilities and geographies have little overlap, enabling us together to continue to expand our client relationships and provide significant opportunities for our employees. We are enthusiastic about the potential.”
Progresses Group Strategy
In 2009, SKM articulated its long-term vision for the next decade and beyond in a dynamic and increasingly global business environment. SKM's vision involved a broadening of its business across geographies, sectors and skills in order to improve its offering to its clients and provide greater opportunity for its people.
A combination with Jacobs provides an opportunity to allow SKM to achieve its vision as part of a company that shares the same values and beliefs. Key benefits include:
- A complementary geographic presence and skill base which is expected to enhance SKM’s offering to clients.
- New opportunities for employees as part of a global organisation with a broad range of practice areas and global clients
- Immediate and long-term growth opportunities through complementary geographies and capabilities
- Financial strength of the combined business provides enhanced ability to facilitate organic and acquisitive growth
The Merger Proposal will be implemented by way of two separate but inter-conditional Schemes of Arrangement between SKM and its shareholders, which (subject to Court approval) will be voted upon by SKM shareholders at meetings expected to be held in November - December 2013.
Independent Expert, Lonergan Edwards & Associates Limited, has been appointed by the Board of SKM to determine if the Merger Proposal is in the best interests of SKM shareholders.
A further announcement is expected following the planned SKM shareholder votes.
04 September, 2013 by ALABC Editor
This month's LATAM news covers topics such as:
Aussie start-ups score support in Chile
Westfield explores options in Brazil
Australian firm wins canal contract in Nicaragua
Australian universities score high ratings
Team Defence Australia a hit in Latin America
QBE’s Latin American operations thriving
Sign-in to read
26 August, 2013 by ALABC Editor
Entries are now open for the 2013 Australia Latin America Business Excellence Awards. These awards recognise excellence in doing business in Latin America, from a diverse range of industries and business sizes throughout Australia.
The judges take into account a variety of business aspects, including Strategy, Innovation, Growth and a commitment to doing business in Latin America now and in the future.
LATAM News July 2013
06 August, 2013 by ALABC Editor
This month's LATAM news covers topics such as:
- BHP & Rio approve $3bn spend for Escondida
- Virgin Australia’s code share to Mexico
- Inaugural Latin Finance Investors’ Forum
- El Salvador’s Ambassador presents credentials
- Sydney Dance Company to tour Latin America
- Macquarie to invest in Mexico
- Boost for Condor Blanco in Chile
- Sydney Annual Dinner
- Reduced growth outlook for Latin America
- Strong investment flow into Peru’s mining sector
- First Latin America Innovation Summit
- Peruvian economy grows at 6%
- Analysis: Investing in Latin America
- Top tips for exporting to Brazil
- Women entrepreneurs in Latin America
- Opinion: China should become more Brazilian
- Mexico sees $315bn investment program
- Opinion: Is Colombia the Indonesia of LatAm?
- Mining services shake-out
- Cuba to test free-market policies
- Costa Rica the new Innovation leader in LatAm
LATAM NEWS JUNE 2013
03 July, 2013 by ALABC Editor
This month's edition of Latam News features:
- Carsales.com.au seals Brazilian investment
- ‘Great Southern Lands’ report released
- Pacific Hydro to ramp up investment in Brazil
- OZ Minerals has another go in Chile
- Azure Minerals at Mexican Mining Summit
- Global Geoscience teams with Antofagasta
- Latin Finance to host investor forum
- PwC’s ‘Mine 2013: A Confidence Crisis’ report
- Ernst & Young’s top 10 strategic risks
- Sydney Dinner to feature ANZ’s Mike Smith on 22 August 2013
06 June, 2013 by ALABC Editor
Qantas turns attention to LATAM alliance
Westfield changes strategy in Brazil
Aspermont launches new Brazil news service
Latin America Down Under report
Peru – and emerging start-up hub?
Latin America cements Pacific Alliance
- Latin America tops mining deals ...
Sign-in to read
Colombian National Mining Agency at Latin American Down Under, Sydney 29th and 30th May
24 May, 2013 by ALABC Editor
With the aim of providing complete information about the exciting opportunities available for international companies in our growing mineral’s market, the Government of Colombia, will have a senior delegation made up of:
- Mrs Maria-Constanza Garcia-Botero, President of the National Mining Agency
- Mr Juan-Guillermo Castro-Benetti, Vice-president for Promotion and Foment National Mining Agency
- Mr Juan-Sebastian Bargans-Ballesteros, Executive Director of Proexport Indonesia responsible for Australia and New Zealand
Look for the Colombian National Mining Agency's booth (#7) where all our experts in the Colombian mining sector will be able to sort out your queries in relation to the Colombian market.
The Latin American Down Under conference will be held at the Hotel Sheraton on the Park in Sydney on the 29th and 30th of May.
26 April, 2013 by ALABC Editor
In this edition: 2013 Melbourne Dinner - Bigger and better!; Hola AUNZ Film Festival in Mexico; Keech gains traction in Chile; Tax changes impact upon expatriates; Latin American higher education needs English; Analysis: Latin America's solar power
Sign-in to read
27 February 2017
30 January 2017
25 January 2017